It seems everyone looks forward to Christmas vacation. While some people choose to spend it at home with family and friends, there are others who prefer to take advantage of holiday travel. As you look toward planning your next family vacation, it’s important to consider these popular destinations that can help you soak up the true holiday experience, regardless of how you celebrate.
Walt Disney World
Known as the happiest place on Earth, what better place to spend Christmas than at Walt Disney World? Starting in November, the parks and hotels that make up this amusement park start decorating for the holidays. Every hotel gets its own holiday makeover, while the parks undergo some massive changes as well. Several nights a week, park goers can purchase a ticket to a special Christmas party featuring snow on Main Street, hot chocolate and character meet and greets you can’t get at any other time of the year, plus a special parade and fireworks. The World Showcase at Epcot can also provide insight into holiday celebrations as they are held around the world.
Many people are familiar with Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, where movie goers got a close look at the Christmas events that take place in this already bustling city. There’s the giant Christmas tree to enjoy at Rockefeller Center, along with the many famous storefronts decked out for Christmas. While there are a number of music shows and other events, visitors to the city at this time of year shouldn’t miss out on the Radio City Christmas Spectacular featuring the famous Rockettes. A carriage ride through Central Park is another must do.
If you don’t mind the cold, Alaska can be a fabulous destination for your next Christmas vacation. The winter is the ideal time to take in the Aurora Borealis, otherwise known as the Northern Lights. You can also take the kids to visit Santa’s house located in North Pole, Alaska. Sending letters to this house also generates replies. Even though Alaska isn’t the North Pole, it can seem that way to young children.
- Free golf w/ 2-nts - Code: WINGOLF
- World-class amenities
- One of Top 20 Hotels in Florida by Condé Nast Traveler
The Seagate Country Club | FL Winter Golf Package
- Free night specials at select resorts
- Last minute spring break offers available
- Family friendly, indoor pools, oceanside rooms
Myrtle Beach | Spring Deals - Up to 40% Off
- Mid-range hotel close to the action
- Comfortable and spacious rooms
- Close to Fernbank Science Center and Underground Atlanta
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta North Druid Hills - Emory Area
- Close to downtown Atlanta
- Flat screen HDTVs, free WiFi, and modern amenties
- Meeting space for up to 100 guests
Holiday Inn Express Atlanta NE - I-85 Clairmont
- Renovated 19th century cotton mill
- In-room safe, writing desks, flat screen TVs, and more
- 3-minute walk from the Louisiana Children's Museum
New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
- Family owned 4-star hotel
- Located in the French Quarter
- Ensuite rooms with antique furniture, free Wi-Fi, iPhone docks
Hotel Provincial in New Orleans
- 4-star property on Paradise Road
- Vegas Style pool and on-site bar & restaurant
- 548 guest rooms with King or Double beds
Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel
- 11 miles away from the San Diego Zoo
- Includes large flat-screen TVs and work desks
- Simple continental breakfast for a small fee
PB Surf Beachside Inn in San Diego
- Very close to Las Vegas attractions
- Free parking, 24-hour front desk, fitness center, and more
- Comfortable accommodations
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Las Vegas SW – Spring Valley
- In the heart of San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter
- New Orleans-style courtyard with on-site restaurants
- Close to all of the action
Horton Grand Hotel San Diego
- Includes complementary Wi-Fi and breakfasts
- Just minutes from Denver International Airport
- Indoor pool and a 24-hour fitness center.
Home2 Suites by Hilton Denver/International Airport, CO
The Polar Express may be an older book, but the creation of the movie has really brought it to the forefront of Christmas. While you can find Polar Express rides in many areas of the country, no one does it quite like New Hampshire. The train departs from both North Conway Village and Lincoln, embarking on a two-hour journey through the White Mountains. At the end of the journey, parents and children hike through the snow to meet Santa himself, along with an army of elves. It’s an experience no child will ever forget.
A family vacation is a precious time to spend together. Because the holidays are a time when families make time together a priority, holiday travel can be extremely popular, especially with the kids already off school. While a nice Christmas at home can be a wonderful thing, these adventures can be just the thing to brighten the season and create some extra special memories.
Choose one of these or a number of other options across the nation or abroad to expand your horizons and experience the holiday season in a new way.
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more