Backpacking through Europe? Here Are Some Packing Hacks
I always over pack, whether I am going on a quick weekend getaway or traveling for work, I end up leaving my apartment looking like I’m moving out. That’s why the concept of backpacking through Europe is so foreign to me. How am I expected to live out of only one small backpack? Even if I can manage to fit everything I “need” to bring with me, how am I going to carry it? It’s going to at least be 100 lbs by the time I bring all of my clothes with me and not to mention all the souvenirs I will be bringing home. Here are some tips that I found on what to pack and how to pack for a European backpacking trip.
–Travel light– Your backpack should be under 20 lbs. If you think you can handle your bag being more than 20 lbs and it won’t be a big deal, you should try the stair test. Pack your bag and walk up and down a flight of stairs ten times. This is also a great cardio work out.
–Pack Versatile Clothing– You should pack clothing that can be easily be layered and mixed/matched. Don’t pack anything that you would only wear once because your limited space is valuable. Follow this simple rule, if you have to wonder if you need it, then you probably do not need it.
–Be Comfortable– Make sure to pack moisture wick, quick drying socks. The last thing you want is to be walking around in wet socks. Also be sure to pack comfortable shoes, you will be doing a lot of walking and you do not want blisters. Make sure you break in your shoes at least two weeks prior to your trip.
–Bags within Bags– You don’t want to carry around your backpack all day and night. Be sure to bring a small day bag or purse to take out with you. Also pack a money belt. You can put your money and other important belongings tucked safely away. Be sure to pack a few Ziploc bags, these are for your dirty clothes or anything that gets wet. Also pack a hanging toiletries bag, this will come in handy at hostels.
–Other Travel Necessities– Bring a padlock to keep your personal belongings safe. Purchase a quick drying towel, you don’t want moldy or damp clothes. First aid kit is incredibly important, you never know when you might need one. Also be sure to pack hand sanitizer and travel size toilet paper, you will be glad you have them. Be sure to bring a camera to document your trip and stay organized with packing cases or sleeves.
- Free $500 ship credit
- Solo travelers: Reduced single supplement
- Up to 56 free excursions inlcuded
11-Nt Monte Carlo to Venice Cruise w/ Air
- $500 ship credit included
- Cruise from Venice to Barcelona
- Up to 57 free shore excursions
Air & 10-Nt Dalmatia & Cote D'Azur Cruise
- Free $500 ship credit
- Solo travelers: reduced single supplement
- Up to 62 free shore excursions
10-Nt Barcelona to Athens Cruise w/ Air
- Free $500 shipboard credit
- Up to 37 free shore excursions
- Traveling solo? Reduced single supplement
10-Nt Scandinavian Cruise w/ Airfare
- Suite Life Sales Event! Save on select Europe river cruises
- Cruise the Rhine, Rhone, Danube & more
- Included beverage station w/ lattes, tea, coffee & much more
Free Airfare plus Save $1,000 Per Couple
- Includes hotels in Madrid, Seville & Barcelona
- See the Royal Palace, Seville city tour, Guadalquivir cruise
- Visit some of the filming locations of Game of Thrones
Air & 8-Nt Spain Vacation w/ Tours & River Cruise
- Roundtrip air on 5-star Emirates
- Save $250 pp w/ code DHEGR250 - book by 6/19
- Daily breakfast, 6-nts accommodations & more
Air & 8-Day Escorted Tour of Greece
- Free air & save $1000 per couple
- Cruise on Avalon Waterway's newest ship
- Price on 8-day Romantic Rhine
Fly Free on select 2019 Europe River Cruises
- Book early for best prices
- Travel between Sept 7 & Oct 30
- Over 20 major European cities to choose from
Fall Air Sale: Flights to Europe from Hartford
- Sailing Oct. thru Nov. 2019 from Athens
- Free drinks, gratuities and excursions!
- See Athens, Mykonos, Istanbul & more
Celestyal Crystal | 7-Day Greece, Turkey & Black Sea Cruise
- Sailing August 31 from Rome
- All inclusive luxury experience
- Save up to $6000 on select voyages
7-Day Western Mediterranean Cruise on Crystal Serenity
Now that you know what to pack, here are some tips on how to pack for a European backpacking vacation.
-The heaviest items should be next to your back and centered, medium weight items should be at the top of the bag, and the lightest items should be at the bottom.
-Use packing cases or sleeves to keep your clothes organized. Separate them into similar items.
-Put all liquids in plastic bags to avoid spills.
-Keep the items that you won’t need to get to until you reach your hostel or hotel towards the bottom of the bag and items that you need to get to quickly towards the top of the bag.
Now that you know how easy it is to pack for your trip, start planning your European vacation today. Compare airfare and flight deals to make sure you’re getting the cheapest plane tickets. Then look for discounted resorts and hotels throughout Europe. You may want to consider Europe vacation packages as well. Explore France, Ireland, Italy, England, Spain, and more and save in every city.
Want some more tips for your European backpacking trip?
- Learn how to pack for Seven Days in an Overnight Bag
- Make sure you know the English Words to Avoid Overseas
- Check out these Irish castles where you can spend the night!
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more