3 Ways To Spend Your Tax Refund On Travel
Tax day has come and gone and refund checks are being mailed out everywhere. Here are some ideas based on the average refund of $3,120.
- A staycation
Depending on where you live, a staycation can provide all the comforts of a trip, without the hassle of an airport or road trip. While you may be staying in town near friends and family, tell them you are going out of town. This will help it truly feel like a day or night away. Make reservations at that one restaurant you’ve heard about all over the internet. Book a room at that special hotel that catches your eye on your daily commute.
This is the cheapest option of them all, it’s free! Put the money away and save it for a future trip. You’ll be able to do more and go further with a bit of extra money. Sometimes increasing your travel budget by just a few hundred dollars can increase your opportunities tenfold.
- Explore this unique capital city at your pace
- Includes superior hotels w/ daily breakfast
- Enjoy an optional dinner and tango show
Air & 6-Day Buenos Aires Self-Guided Getaway Pkg.
- Air, car rental, hotel & more - use code DHTFD140 by 5/27
- Spend 5 nights in Montecatini, 1 night in Milan
- Valid on departures June 2022 - March 2023
$140 Off | 8-Day Tuscany Fly & Drive w/ Milan
- Balcony cabin, $100 ship credit - Book by 5/22
- All destinations on sale w/ credit up to $1350
- 30% Instant savings + kids free on select sailngs
30% Off | 7-Nt Caribbean Cruise on Oasis of the Seas
- Giant's Causeway, Trinity College, St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- All hotels, 8 meals, tours & more
- Single supplement waived on this tour
7-Day Northern Ireland Small Group Tour in 2022
- Includes air, car rental, tours, hotels & more
- Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle & more
- Option to stay 7, 8 or 9 nights
Air & 7-Nt Ireland's Top Sights Tour w/ Rental Car
- Includes superior hotels, 10 meals & more
- See the Burj Al Arab hotel, shop in Dubai Mall
- Drive through desert dunes, enjoy a BBQ dinner
Air & 7-Day Essential UAE Small Group Tour
- Independent tour w/ superior hotel & transport
- Se the Sydney Opera House, discover beaches & more
- Optional day trips available to add on
Air & 6-Day Sydney City Getaway Package
- Explore this beautiful region of Italy at your pace
- Includes superior hotels and car w/ unlimited mileage
- Optional add-on guided tours
Air & 8-Day Tuscany Vacation w/ Rental Car
- Color-blocked decor inspired by the city's subway lines
- Crisp white linens & contemporary white furnishings
- Signature toiletries by PURE
Row NYC - Beautiful Contemporary Hotel
- Sails June 11, 2022 from Barcelona
- Up to $500 in shipboard credit & travel insurance
- Visit the United Kingdom, France & Italy
7-Nt Mediterranean Cruise on Regal Princess
- Hike 500 miles of trails & check out incredible views
- Enjoy authentic Southern cuisine
- Big Meadows Lodge, Lewis Mountain Cabins or Skyland Resort
Shenandoah National Park Resorts, Lodges & Cabins
- Some camping gear
This will last you for years to come. A nice tent doesn’t cost very much, and neither does a light sleeping bag. Find some flashlights and you have almost everything you need. Depending on how many camping trips you plan to take, you can always add more gear as you go. Now you have what many consider the best hotel room in the world, as long as you don’t need any room service or Wi-Fi.
- A weekend trip
With the price of gas so low, all you need to worry about is how long of a vacation you want to take. Airline ticket prices have not fallen as dramatically as gas, so it is worth considering places within 5 hours of where you live. In the diverse landscape of the United States, this can take you worlds away.
- Amusement Park
One of the most traditional family vacations is a trip to the amusement park. Almost every place in America has one within a decent driving distance, but if you can, Orlando is the place to be. Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld are all there. Plus there are tons of other smaller attractions around town.
- A long weekend
This one is pretty ridiculous and not recommended, but who says you aren’t allowed to treat yourself every once in a while? Take a flight to somewhere (first class of course). Book a stay at a luxury five star hotel and make reservations at the very best places in town. Order some room service, throw out some tips and just treat your refund like you just won going all in at the casino. Of course throw in some shopping along the way. On Sunday, board the plane (ahead of everyone else) and prepare to return to your normal life.
- A week
Taking a week off affords you the time to travel to more exotic places such as Europe. Take some time and make a city your home for a week. Do more than just the usual tourist spots and recommendations, and your dollars will go farther. This is true for almost any destination. Remember this is a spontaneous trip; if you try to visit too many places you can end up making travel more of a chore than anything else.
- A whole month
Pack your bags and contact the post office, you’re going to be gone awhile. A full tax refund can last for months in countries such as Colombia. A delicious, three-course meal runs for as low as $3 dollars. An ocean view villa would normally be well out of most people’s price range, but at just $25 it’s just half a tank of gas. Really with a budget like that, the only thing you need to worry about is having a job when you get home.
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more