3 Ways To Spend Your Tax Refund On Travel
Tax day has come and gone and refund checks are being mailed out everywhere. Here are some ideas based on the average refund of $3,120.
- A staycation
Depending on where you live, a staycation can provide all the comforts of a trip, without the hassle of an airport or road trip. While you may be staying in town near friends and family, tell them you are going out of town. This will help it truly feel like a day or night away. Make reservations at that one restaurant you’ve heard about all over the internet. Book a room at that special hotel that catches your eye on your daily commute.
This is the cheapest option of them all, it’s free! Put the money away and save it for a future trip. You’ll be able to do more and go further with a bit of extra money. Sometimes increasing your travel budget by just a few hundred dollars can increase your opportunities tenfold.
- Includes up to $200 in onboard credits
- Upgrade to a balcony stateroom
- Receive complimentary specialty dining
4-Nt Bahamas Cruise w/ Up To $200 Onboard Credit
- Includes gratuities, WiFi & up to $300 onboard credit
- Free specialty dining & shore excursion discounts
- Sails Jan 6, 2022 from Ft. Lauderdale
4-Nt Western Caribbean Cruise w/ Beverage Package
- Includes beverage package, gratuities & WiFi
- Free specialty dining, onboard credits & more
- Sails Apr 10, 2022 from New York
7-Nt Bermuda Cruise w/ Shore Excursion Credits
- Includes onboard credits up to $300
- Free shore excursion discounts & more
- Sails May 7, 2022 from Vancouver
7-Nt Alaska Cruises w/ Reduced Deposits
- Includes up to $200 in onboard credits
- Free shore excursion discounts plus reduced deposits
- Sails Dec 19, 2021 from San Diego
7-Nt Mexican Riviera Cruise w/ Up To $200 Credit
- Free specialty dining, instant savings & more
- 48-hour cancellation on sailings thru April 2022
- Caribbean, Alaska, Europe & others
30% Off Royal Caribbean w/ up to $100 Ship Credit
- 50% Off + $200 in resort coupons & free greens fees
- Newly renovated property - book by 12/10
- For travel Nov 22, 2021 - Apr 30, 2022
Air & 3-Nts Dreams All-Incl. Riviera Maya Resort
- 19 destinations including Reykjavik, Paris, Amsterdam & London
- Travel between January 10, 2022 & May 14, 2022
- 9 major U.S. gateways
Limited-Time Deals On Europe Flights w/ Icelandair
- Ship credit & free travel insurance offers
- Depart from Los Angeles on Dec 17, 2021
- Roundtrip to Ensenada, Mexico
3-Nt Baja Mexico Cruise on Carnival Radiance
- Try the Club for just $1
- Hawaii from $109, Greece from $289 roundtrip & more
- Get email alerts when we find flights leaving your home airport
Save Up To 90% On Flights
- Sails Jan 23, 2022 from Miami - More itineraries below
- Up to 2-category upgrade
- Visit Turks & Caicos, the Dominican Republic & Princess Cays
6-Nt Eastern Caribbean Cruise on Carnival Freedom
- Some camping gear
This will last you for years to come. A nice tent doesn’t cost very much, and neither does a light sleeping bag. Find some flashlights and you have almost everything you need. Depending on how many camping trips you plan to take, you can always add more gear as you go. Now you have what many consider the best hotel room in the world, as long as you don’t need any room service or Wi-Fi.
- A weekend trip
With the price of gas so low, all you need to worry about is how long of a vacation you want to take. Airline ticket prices have not fallen as dramatically as gas, so it is worth considering places within 5 hours of where you live. In the diverse landscape of the United States, this can take you worlds away.
- Amusement Park
One of the most traditional family vacations is a trip to the amusement park. Almost every place in America has one within a decent driving distance, but if you can, Orlando is the place to be. Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld are all there. Plus there are tons of other smaller attractions around town.
- A long weekend
This one is pretty ridiculous and not recommended, but who says you aren’t allowed to treat yourself every once in a while? Take a flight to somewhere (first class of course). Book a stay at a luxury five star hotel and make reservations at the very best places in town. Order some room service, throw out some tips and just treat your refund like you just won going all in at the casino. Of course throw in some shopping along the way. On Sunday, board the plane (ahead of everyone else) and prepare to return to your normal life.
- A week
Taking a week off affords you the time to travel to more exotic places such as Europe. Take some time and make a city your home for a week. Do more than just the usual tourist spots and recommendations, and your dollars will go farther. This is true for almost any destination. Remember this is a spontaneous trip; if you try to visit too many places you can end up making travel more of a chore than anything else.
- A whole month
Pack your bags and contact the post office, you’re going to be gone awhile. A full tax refund can last for months in countries such as Colombia. A delicious, three-course meal runs for as low as $3 dollars. An ocean view villa would normally be well out of most people’s price range, but at just $25 it’s just half a tank of gas. Really with a budget like that, the only thing you need to worry about is having a job when you get home.
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more