Plan a Personalized Vacation to the Italian Countryside
What are the first things that come to mind when you hear of Italy? For us, it’s wine and pasta, but you could be imagining gondolas, gelato, narrow side streets, and lush landscapes across the country.
While you’ve heard of the big cities like Rome, Naples, and Florence, there are thousands of cities dotted across the countryside worth visiting. And lucky for you, they’ll have great food and no tourists!
Towns You Should Visit During Your Next Trip
Marina de Pisciotta
In the province of Salerno, you’ll find a wondrous village atop a large hill seemingly from years past. A coastal town in the south of Italy, you’ll find narrow streets, ancient cathedrals and churches, and Italian food like no other.
You can walk the beaches and hitch a ride with a local fisherman (you won’t find any tour boats around), after visiting historic Cappella di San Michel Arcangelo (a church) and Museo Archeologico (museum).
You can get to this village by flying into Naples, the nearest large city, taking a bus, or renting a car.
If you like Venice but not her crowds, travel to Treviso for similar jaw dropping views. This city is only 20 miles away from the tourist town of Venice, but has the same charm and canals. The streets are narrow and full of redbrick buildings, while the canals are wide and carry small boats from place to place.
In the city, you can find authentic restaurants and shops selling crystals, blown glass, and figurines. Walk to the city center for coffee and people watching, then head to many museums, parks, and churches scattered around town.
This hilly town has a centuries old wall surrounding it, making a great walking tour for you. Stop on your way to taste some gelato and look at the sites from the hills. There are a plethora of chapels and churches throughout the town, including the Cappella Colleoni, a chapel from the 15th century with frescoed ceilings and marble exteriors.
If you like museums, you can visit Academia Carrara di Belle Arti with works from the 15th-19th centuries by artists around the world. This town is great for history lovers, as a majority of its buildings are hundreds of years old and some even date back to the 8th century.
3 Ways to Get Around Italy
Take a cruise through the picturesque Mediterranean and stop in ports throughout Italy’s coast. You can find tours to several different countries in the Mediterranean, but some focus exclusively on Italy, stopping in popular port towns around the country like Genoa, Naples, Venice, and Marseille.
You can find cruises on all your favorite cruise lines ranging from a few days to weeks exploring the globe. Make sure your cruise will allow you to bring some famous Italian wine onboard.
- Escorted tour with daily breakfast
- See cathedrals, temples & archeological site
- Tour Palermo, Agrigento & Mount Etna
Italy Escorted Tours from $899
- Arguably Italy's most beautiful city
- Personalize your travel package with a Local Host
- Includes hotel and VIP-access to must-see attractions
Venice 2+ Night Getaways
- Explore the Colosseum, St. Peter's Basilica, and more
- Enjoy guided sightseeing with an expert Local Host
- Includes hotel, daily breakfast, and more
Rome 2+ Night Getaways
- Enjoy guided sightseeing with an expert Local Host
- 2 nts to explore each city w/ optional excursions
- Includes hotel, breakfasts, & inter-city transportation
6-Nt Vacation to Rome, Paris & London
- Includes great hotels & guided sightseeing
- Enhanced exploration with an expert Local Host
- VIP-access to top sites, plus time to explore
4-Nt Rome & Paris Vacation Package
- Sicily, Tuscany, Naples, & more
- Itineraries range from 9 days to 14 days
- Includes hotels, some meals, and a local guide
Undiscovered Italy Tours from $1849
- Save 7.5% per person on select vacations
- Includes daily breakfast, 6 three-course dinners, more
- See Valley of the Temples, cathedrals & ancient sites
10-Day Guided tour of Sicily
- Includes daily breakfast, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Take part in a cooking class, visit a wine cellar, more
- See a different side of Tuscany through food
8-Day Gourmet Tuscany Guided Tour
- Customize your itinerary
- Incl. hotels, airfare, and transfers
- See the Coliseum, Parthenon & more
6-Nt Rome & Athens Vacation w/Air & Hotels
- Visit the most famous cities in Italy
- Customize your stays in each city
- Visit the fashion capital of Milan
9-Nts 4-City Italian Vacation w/Air & Hotels
- Includes hotels, flights, & trains
- See the beautiful Cinque Terre on the coast
- Travel by train through the countryside of Italy
9-Night 4-City Italy Package w/Air & Train
If you want a personalized experience completely custom to your interests, find a car and start driving. You can easily travel to cities throughout Italy and plan your vacation based on your wants.
Maybe you’re interested in a wine tour, or love walking through the streets of the oldest cities in the country. You can create an itinerary just for you, whether it be romantic, adventurous, or with history in mind.
Interested in visiting Italy but don’t know where to start? An escorted tour might be perfect for you. Let everyone else do the planning for you and enjoy your vacation. You can find tours through the countryside or to bustling cities depending on your preference.
Let the knowledgeable English-speaking guides plan everything for you, from 5.0-star hotels, to air-conditioned coaches to transport you through the countries. You might just find the best Italian food on the planet, as the tour guides are locals.
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more