Ways to Enjoy Cancun for Less
Cancun is a hotspot on Mexico’s eastern tip located on the beautiful shores within the Gulf of Mexico. Within this diverse geographical area, you’ll find luxury hotels, ancient ruins, several bars & restaurants, and endless sunshine on immaculate beaches. The never-ending activities and opportunities to drain your wallet are everywhere. You can take a tropical vacation while staying on a budget by using cheaper and low-cost options to discover Cancun.
1. Bring Your Snorkel Gear
You can enjoy a plethora of free beaches around Cancun, all with cerulean waters and large stretches of sand perfect for a tan. Cancun is known for its waters teeming with mammals, fish, anemones, sponges, and more sea life. Snorkeling is a great way to spend an afternoon and see the fascinating world below the surface, but renting equipment is an extras expense. If you bring your own snorkeling gear, you can head into the warm waters to spot a variety of exotic fish without the worry and stress of watching the clock to return on time. Plus, you don't have to wait in lines and you can go as often and when you want.
Popular beaches in the area ideal for snorkeling include Playa Tortugas, a famous beach with calm waves, food stalls, and artisans; Playa Norte on the island of Isla Mujeres with an unspoiled coastline; and Playa Chac Mool, a beach located in the Hotel Zone with some of the bluest waters anywhere in the world.
2. Visit Local Museums and Architectural Sites
Tours may be expensive, but if you’re willing to explore on your own, you can save some serious cash and still experience culturally significant locations in the area. Stroll the Dorfman Art Gallery (free entrance) to see Maya-influenced works in a variety of art forms including sculptures, videos, paintings, and murals. Another free option is the Templo del Alacrán, or Temple of the Scorpion, offering guests a look at ruins built in 1200 A.D.
The shining star of Cancun is Chichen Itza, located in the lush tropical rainforest outside of town. Entrance costs less than $15 a person for adults and lets you browse and walk around the ancient site at your own pace. You can also visit the nearby site of Tulum, home to a pre-Columbian Mayan walled city dating back to the 13th century, for less than $5.
- Explore this unique capital city at your pace
- Includes superior hotels w/ daily breakfast
- Enjoy an optional dinner and tango show
Air & 6-Day Buenos Aires Self-Guided Getaway Pkg.
- Air, car rental, hotel & more - use code DHTFD140 by 5/27
- Spend 5 nights in Montecatini, 1 night in Milan
- Valid on departures June 2022 - March 2023
$140 Off | 8-Day Tuscany Fly & Drive w/ Milan
- Balcony cabin, $100 ship credit - Book by 5/22
- All destinations on sale w/ credit up to $1350
- 30% Instant savings + kids free on select sailngs
30% Off | 7-Nt Caribbean Cruise on Oasis of the Seas
- Giant's Causeway, Trinity College, St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- All hotels, 8 meals, tours & more
- Single supplement waived on this tour
7-Day Northern Ireland Small Group Tour in 2022
- Includes air, car rental, tours, hotels & more
- Ring of Kerry, Blarney Castle & more
- Option to stay 7, 8 or 9 nights
Air & 7-Nt Ireland's Top Sights Tour w/ Rental Car
- Includes superior hotels, 10 meals & more
- See the Burj Al Arab hotel, shop in Dubai Mall
- Drive through desert dunes, enjoy a BBQ dinner
Air & 7-Day Essential UAE Small Group Tour
- Independent tour w/ superior hotel & transport
- Se the Sydney Opera House, discover beaches & more
- Optional day trips available to add on
Air & 6-Day Sydney City Getaway Package
- Explore this beautiful region of Italy at your pace
- Includes superior hotels and car w/ unlimited mileage
- Optional add-on guided tours
Air & 8-Day Tuscany Vacation w/ Rental Car
- Color-blocked decor inspired by the city's subway lines
- Crisp white linens & contemporary white furnishings
- Signature toiletries by PURE
Row NYC - Beautiful Contemporary Hotel
- Sails June 11, 2022 from Barcelona
- Up to $500 in shipboard credit & travel insurance
- Visit the United Kingdom, France & Italy
7-Nt Mediterranean Cruise on Regal Princess
- Hike 500 miles of trails & check out incredible views
- Enjoy authentic Southern cuisine
- Big Meadows Lodge, Lewis Mountain Cabins or Skyland Resort
Shenandoah National Park Resorts, Lodges & Cabins
3. Explore Local Markets
It costs nothing to walk around the street fairs and markets in Cancun. Browse the Marcado 28 in downtown Cancun, full of local merchants selling their wares alongside food carts, jewelers, and artisans. This market takes up an entire city block and offers visitors authentic and inexpensive Mexican food. If you’re looking for a souvenir, you can find a variety of traditional Mexican options here while supporting local businesses.
Walk through the largest shopping Center in Cancun, Plaza La Isla Cancun, where you’ll find entertainment, a theater, and a wax museum. While there are higher-end stores, the plaza regularly hosts free events including mariachi bands, musical performances, and more.
4. Explore the Outdoors
There are parks and trails around Cancun that you can walk, bike, or skate along completely free (the bike rental might cost a few dollars). Head to Parque de Las Palapas to find locals playing soccer, walking their dogs, and enjoying a Cuban coffee. Optional - bring some extra pesos to give the talented street performers.
Walk down the main street, Avenida Tulum, and find great deals on souvenirs. This main thoroughfare offers an eclectic assortment of shops, cafes, and taco stands where the delicious smells waft down the street inside the stores making it hard to resist an afternoon snack. Prices here are more reasonable than in the popular tourist destinations, but you may need to brush up on your Spanish before visiting.
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more