Best Travel Books - Read Your Way Around the World
While many books take you around the world, few focus on the “travel” aspect of globe-trotting. Here are a few of the best travel books that don’t just describe a destination(s), but the journey to and through them as well.
Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer
This book examines the life of Christopher McCandless, a traveler known to others as “Alexander Supertramp,” and pieces together a narrative about his life from the little pieces that so many knew of him. While the ending is immediately known and tragic, the story of how a man gave up everything to truly experience nature is astounding. The book has been made into a well-received movie.
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, Bill Bryson
Bill Bryson’s story of his journey along the Appalachian Trail is yet another book to inspire many to leave the confines and comforts of their hometowns to strike out and see all that America offers. Using wit, and some carefully crafted jokes, Bryson becomes the hiking partner that everyone would like to have, knowledgeable and positive. Soon you will be wondering how to follow in his (and many others’) footsteps along this legendary hiking trail.
Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer
Jon Krakauer chronicles his own life in this harrowing account of an ascent of Mount Everest. At one time considered one of the deadliest disasters in the mountain’s history, Krakauer’s expedition lost four members. This (often contested) account of the events leading up to the ascent and the aftermath creates one of the greatest adventure stories ever told.
- All-inclusive Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos w/ up to $200 in perks
- Infinity pool, main pool, kid-friendly pool and two hot tubs
- Special offers - must book by 1/17
Los Cabos | 60% Off plus up to $200 Flight Credit
- Buy One Get One FREE w/ code: BOXING2019
- Explore the stunning Valley of the Kings
- See the Great Pyramids & Sphinx
Air & 9-Day Mystical Egypt Tour
- See the city with a Local Host
- Hotel included
- Free daily breakfast, VIP-access to must-see sights, and more
Florence 2+ Night Getaways
- Includes great hotels & guided sightseeing
- Enhanced exploration with an expert Local Host
- VIP-access to top sites, plus time to explore
4-Nt Rome & Paris Vacation Package
- Book today & get a $150/person air credit
- Get an insider's look w/ an expert Monograms local guide
- Includes sightseeing & transportation
6-Nt Vacation in London w/ Hotel
- Bullet train from Mount Fuji to Kyoto, Great Buddha & more
- Enjoy history, beautiful settings, and fascinating architecture
- Visit Peace Memorial Park, Koraku-en Garden, Osaka Castle +
10-Day Japan Tour from Tokyo to Osaka
- Save $300 on this escorted tour
- Tour the historic city of Saigon & nearby villages
- Includes flights, hotels, tours, transportation, & some meals
Air + 12-Day Best of Vietnam & Cambodia Tour
- Travel to Ski City - Plan your ski vacation!
- Downtown location near restaurants & shops
- Breakfast buffet with cinnamon rolls & fruit
Hotel & Ski City Super Pass Offer - Crystal Inn, Salt Lake City
- Save 35% when you book early! Stay thru Sept. 20
- Condos sleep 4 or more
- Kitchenette, private balcony, refrigerator
Paradise Resort, Myrtle Beach | Friends & Family Sale
- Centrally located near museums, shopping, & restaurants
- large modern rooms with private hot tubs
- Free breakfast of local delicacies + free Wi-Fi
Corinto in Rio de Janeiro
- Movie theatre, supervised kids' activities, free Wi-Fi & more
- Complimentary shuttle to Walt Disney World
- Appleby's on site is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, Cheryl Strayed
Now a major motion picture, this book covers the West Coast’s analog to the Appalachian Trail, The Pacific Crest Trail. This non-fiction account of Cheryl Strayed’s journey is similar to Bill Bryson’s, yet being as it is told by a woman, covers some much different ground. Recovering from the loss of a parent and dissolution of a marriage, Strayed chooses to find herself by traveling alone from the Mojave Desert to Washington State.
My Life in France, Julia Child & Alex Prud’Homme
Inspiring thousands to experience living abroad, Julia Child’s My Life in France is already a timeless classic. While only recently published, this book chronicles the famous chef’s times in France during WWII and beyond. Lovingly crafted with notes and an extensive index containing a treasure trove of recipes, this book is about more than just seeing a new place; it is about learning its culture through conversation, food, and art.
On the Road, Jack Kerouac
The classic novel of a vagabond or “couch surfer.” Jack Kerouac writes with a stream of consciousness fury that resembles the mind of a young adult – a mind running mad with the possibilities of where life could lead. There is no exact destination in mind for the protagonist, just the urge to keep moving on. Many writers list On the Road as one of their great influences, as even if one struggles to keep up with all the stories, one can appreciate the desire to have an abundance of them.
Grab one of these great books for some at home reading, or for inspiration while you are “on the road.”
Signup for Vacation Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more