Consider a Midwest Road Trip For Your Next Adventure
It’s time to really see the country, and what better way is there to do that than on a good, old-fashioned road trip in the midwest through America’s heartland? Road trips are an excellent option when it comes to planning an affordable vacation. Why spend money on airfare when you can simply drive to all the wonderful sights, sounds, and tastes just waiting for you in your backyard?
Of course, before you hit the road with your travel companion or the whole family in tow or start looking for great deals on midwestern hotels, you’ll need to figure out your itinerary. We’ve compiled some weird, wonderful, and awe-inspiring stops to consider before you pack up the car.
Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio
When passing through Ohio, you need to make a stop in the vibrant city of Cleveland. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame stands as one of the Midwest's top attractions and where you can stay in some of the finest hotels in the Midwest. That said, if you want to see the full breadth of what this state has to offer, Cuyahoga Valley National Park offers hiking through lush green acres and scenic waterfalls.
For some classic Midwestern kitsch in the Ozarks, visit the family-friendly entertainment capital of Branson. Here you’ll find performers of all stripes playing to large crowds in the numerous theaters that line the strip. Mini-golf, go-karts, and wax museums are sure to please kids of all ages.
World’s Largest Ball of Twine, Kansas
A road trip wouldn’t be a road trip without seeing something with the title of “World’s Largest.” And while we wouldn’t want to dissuade you from visiting the “World’s Largest Catsup Bottle” in Collinsville, Illinois or the “World’s Largest Ball of Paint” in Alexandria, Indiana, the massive ball of twine in Cawker City, Kansas stands out as a feat of technical wizardry.
Mount Rushmore, South Dakota
Speaking of technical achievements, you’ll be remiss not to plan a stop at Mount Rushmore on your Midwest road trip. Sure, you’ve probably seen countless images of this massive mountainside carving of former presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln in books, movies, and TV shows. But seeing it in person is a unique experience that will allow you to view every detail with fresh eyes.
- $100 hotel credit per room
- Daily continental breakfast for two
- 5-star centrally located hotel
Waldorf Astoria Chicago
- 2017 Class A Motor Home - Sleeps 6
- Delivery options available
- No pets, no smoking
31' Winnebago Vista LX 30T
- Class C Motor Home - Sleeps 7
- 2017 SeaKingH2O - Pet friendly
- Grilling tools, outdoor chairs, canopy tent
30' Thor Motor Coach Four Winds 28A
- 24-hr booking buffer, pets allowed
- 2021 Travel Trailer - Sleeps 5
- Tow it yourself or have delivered
21' Dutchmen RV Coleman Lantern LT Series 17B
- Outdoor kitchenette, 2 slide outs
- 2017 Travel Trailer - Sleeps 10
- Pets are allowed, delivery option
35' Keystone RV Springdale 303BH
- 2019 Travel Trailer - Sleeps 8
- Outdoor entertainment area & kitchen
- 1 to 2 dogs are permitted
36' Forest River RV Cherokee Grey Wolf 29TE
- Fully stocked kitchen, awning w/ LED lights
- 2018 Class C Motor Home - Sleeps 10
- O-Zone machine used between rentals
32' Thor Motor Coach Freedom Elite 30FE
- Easy to tow, sleeps 5, perfect for National Parks
- Fully stocked kitchenette
- 3-day booking buffer, follows CDC guidelines
IL | 23' Airstream RV Flying Cloud Travel Trailer
- Pet-friendly RV rental - sleeps 6
- Owner offers delivery
- All rentals with 24/7 roadside assistance
IN | 21' Forest River RV Rockwood Travel Trailer
Mall of America, Minnesota
More than just a mall, this sprawling Bloomington, Minnesota shopping center has a number of entertainment attractions to justify a visit. With a Nickelodeon theme park and an aquarium (and, of course, tons of shops and eateries), this destination is a must if you plan on staying in one of the luxurious midwest hotels in St. Paul or Minneapolis.
Signup for Hotel Deals
Exclusive access to private sales, customized specials & more